Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Saturday, December 24, 2016

First Crab thoughts.....

So there's an awesome thread starting on the Australia Saltwater fly Forum website
http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/board/threads/permit-crabs.17006/

Focusing on crabs used for permit - but if fussy permit will take them - I am sure other crab eating species will too
Here are two images of crab flies from that forum thread -
So many talented tyers out there to inspire us!

Dont think mine will be of hte calibre above but no harm in trying and testing what ever comes off the tying vice.
So based on the info and inspiration from these learned SWOFFERS and what they have shared - I have started to design my own
Most crabs I have seen up here are predominantly black but there are others in the full range of colours - some tan with orange bits, ones with blue claws, ones with purple or red parts - but I think I will focus on black with bits of colour, for even ten black crabs I make, I will probably make four or so tan ones.

Here is my drawings and scribbles of my thoughts based on the materials I have on hand and a tying sequence of sorts

Here goes. Updates and pics later
Hopefully some captures on the flies in the New Year as well
Some of the local SWOFFERS here in Darwin are focusing on the rumours of permit within reach of day trips in Darwin region - which sounds very interesting and promising
Should be an interesting 2017!

Happy tidings for the festive season everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.