Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

So Boat in workshop - tie flies??

So my goal at start of the year was more flats fishing, shrimp and crab patterns to be tied

Well now it is almost half way through the year and only been fishing twice - but one of those was with a lure guy trolling for barra and that doesn't really count - so that's only once on the water (thanks Chris! see previous blog for trip details)

During this last 5.5 months - I have tied a few crab flies but sadly not much else tying has been done
However, finally the learning curve at my new job is ebbing and waning and getting on top of things - although I still have 120 assessments to mark before weekend

And despite the support work for the builders of my new house most afternoons - I seem to have a little more free time lately - they have just started doing the block work (will be finished by Friday I am told)- I am only needed when ready to paint the ceiling and tidy up rubbish in the evenings

Best thing yet - ...............
My regular fishing buddy, Peter, is back from 3months visiting relatives in Canada and is very keen on big fish off Dundee and its sail city out from Peron Islands, With his wife heading off for five weeks - he is hoping to get tennis elbow from too much fly fishing happening!

So on the weekend for an hour or so i had a foray into some tying with a few guys whom I share a Messenger group with (thanks Rog and Cath for hosting!) - the end product even though they were all tying shrimp flies - for me was a surface slider type fly
(yes I know - a promised flats fishing only 2017! and here I was tying baitfish while all tie shrimp!)

Got the idea off a web image (see below for screen shot of it) and I modified it to suit the materials I had and the flies I have tied previously

Am happy with the result - the fly I tied (not shown yet) is all white with large red eyes, while  the material is X wrapped and folded back on itself to create profile. The head is epoxied to secure eyed more. The post of white foam (should I have used red???) hangs the fly, when not in motion, just under the water surface and has a nice little walk the dog wiggle when stripped intermittently. Given the materials used and how it is tied - the tail of the fly pulses and moves with the slightest of motion when the fly is moved - awesomely seductive! (well - to a fish I hope).

The end product about 10-12cm long - hopefully a perfect snack for bigger fish!
Plus I can take a few of permanent coloured markers and add colour or striations if needed to "match the hatch"

I will write up a blog entry on the suspender fly I recently tied - soon! have all the pics just need to write up the step by step procedure

As for next time on the water...................

Peter while just back is still focused on his wife (after 3months away who wouldn't!) before she flies to Canada herself but then he will be super fishing mad for every opportunity to wet a line

So if i want to practice a bit of casting in anger before I head off hard core fishing with Peter (and this guys can cast ALL DAY! non stop!) that means I need to get fly fishing this weekend if I can - but my boat in the workshop with water in the gear box (cleaned and resealing of gaskets) and replacing the small motor (rusted out) that tilts the outboard motor. Not cheap but cheaper than buying a new outboard at least - still was quite amazed the wife approved the repair as she is real tight with money while we are building the house at our rural block. Still I have earned heaps - mega heaps even, of brownie points prepping the block to be built on - so why not spend a little on the boat and the guy who did so much work!

If I fish this weekend  - the boat repairs need to be done by Friday so that I might get the chance to wet a line in the local harbour - Recent reports show the fish about but you still got to work for them - so here's hoping! my kids haven't eaten fish for ages ( so a few released into the ice slurry will solve that) and my cats give me the evil eye every time through the door cause I don't smell like fish when I come home.

So that is the state of affairs as it stands today in the world of the NT SWOFFER from Darwin
See you on the water - that will be me yaaahooooing at the top of my lungs capacity, with the bent rod and a tight line and backing zzzzzinging through the rod guides connected to a HUGE fish!

Bring it on!
NT SWOFFER

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.