Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Pre-Salt 2019 Comp outing plans

So first thing in planning for the Darwin Fly Rodders 2019 Saltwater Fly fishing Competition was a tide chart
A tide chart for Burge Point was chosen
Like I found out eventually - Burge Point is at front of Bynoe Harbour on the Cox Peninsular side
And you can't get a tide chart for Crab Claw or Bynoe - Just Burge Point

So the tides for the 2019 Salt Fly comp are not the ones I have fished in the past
Nor have I targeted those sorts of tides since I came up here 11 years ago.
Yes I have fished briefly those sorts of tides but only by default due to wind or timing and nothing else about  - mostly due to the only day I could fly fish on a weekend and due to such tides not even touch the flats

So much pre-comp SWOFFING will be required to get some good habits and better ideas on how best and where best to fish such tides on the flats

I have some ideas forming already - so for the 2019 Salt fly competition, the plan would be due to those types of tides to at dawn to be fishing the rising tide over the flats and backwaters for Barra, Salmon and Tarpon
Then switch over to pelagics out front of harbour - a long drive (45mins from creeks right at back of harbour) depending on the flats I target - more on flats choice later.
When tide tops out on likely mack and queenfish spots work way back into harbour
upgrading and picking up snapper and trevs from rock bars as well

And that's the 7 species for the Bynoe Slam - and all the extra points that brings
Sadly I have only ever got 6 species and not in a comp -
Only once in a previous comp did I got 5 - missed the barra and a salmon species
But I am very confident of getting a slam during pre-comp outings and also during the 2019 comp itself

Less than a handful of SWOFFERS have got the 7 species slam during competition but one fine SWOFFER got it several times
I certainly will be bending their ear for some advice - lubricating them with alcohol is my plan!

Peter and I have been getting great queenfish lately - (touch wood for comp!!)
We feel these will be a great opportunity for a full line of big fish - thus big points
Pity Tuna aren't a slam species as we have been catching plenty of them too recently. But I think they are still worth points at least - will check that detail for sure

But September is a long way away and weather patterns very different to July and August.

There are a few flats worthy of time at front of harbour but most of my experience has been deep back into Bynoe - past Crab Claw and into the two creek arms right at the back of harbour

Some of the pre-comp outings will determine the right flats to target - with outing focus on the front of harbour flats
The less time zipping about means more time for flies to be in the water so flats closer to our mack and queenfish spots will be a far better option.
So I am thinking of targeting those flats closer to front during most of the pre-comp outings and seriously hoping I can work out the fish patterns for those rising neap tides

So to the tide chart analysis now


I highlighted every rising tide with a neap high tide mid morning to midday
Even just a bit similar to the Salt comp
Best set of tides comparably on a weekend is two weekends prior to the comp. So they are a must to fish in prep for comp

The weekend before the comp is springs with highs at dawn - so no good at all

I might also take a few days off prior to comp and pre-fish the weekdays before the comp
Thursday and Friday before the comp look great for a pre-fish










The June tides are a must too - neaps, close to same sort of times
Yes - weather will definitely be different but basically only about 5 opportunities between now and comp on tides anywhere close to comp tides - so need to fish as many as possible
And as we know wind speed, wind direct, water temp, air temp - all can change in a blink of eye
The fish themselves are moody too
So the more you are on the water - the more experience you will get!

I wont get to fish most of these due to work commitments (saving leave days for Thursday, Friday and Monday of the comp time frame - more on that later)





For the July tides - I see two windows of opportunity to hone skills and knowledge
Best part - it is most of July are School Holidays for me
Additionally - with Wife in Alice Springs with daughters doing the tourist thing during this time --- I can fish each of the midweek tides 8th - 11th of July. So can totally focus on the SWOFFING for those two weeks - hope the boat works without any problems!



Second window in July is the first week back at school - this will have to be a weekend outing. Tides not the best match but close. and worth a fish and a look about.









August has two windows of similar comp type tide sets too.
The Saturday of first set of tides will get a fish
Wish I had more time off I could use mid week
but not retired yet! (9 years to go)

For the tide windows 23rd-25th - I need to get two days fishing in for sure  as the comp in only two weeks later.
Not much tidal flow on the Monday - but not much chance of getting stuck on a mud flat either







Flies of choice will be my main stay fly for the last few years in the salt - the Silicone Surf Candy (SSC), and a few clousers, for the pelagics and rock bars
For the flats the SSC will get a run but mostly it will be shrimp and crab style flies

I have a few shrimp patterns I have caught fish on before, so will use these first
But am researching the web for more of these, so many awesome patterns out there
But sparsely tied, basically imitative style shrimp patterns is what I am thinking of
Am not talking about a shrimp pattern that is so close to the real thing another prawn wants to get "jiggy with it" - though I have a few of those too for special occasions.

Hoping to tie up several patterns for testing during these pre-comp outings - tying instructions and testing reports to follow as they happen

I wont mention the actual location of flats I will be fishing til after the comp but all of them are the usual areas most guys fish during the comp. Its not as if I am not into that much the Secret Spot X hype, it is just that some of these flats are small and too much action on them can shut them down - ask me after comp and I will show you the GPS marks. But if I catch nothing your mightn't want that anyway!

Those species I will be targeting on the flats are my nemesis species - I have a few times slayed the Threadfin in Bynoe - once catching 17 of them off the one flat in a two hour window - awesome fishing - they were almost suicidal that day. I also have caught a few blue salmon here and there - once caught a 70cm monster version off Wickham Point in Darwin Harbour - what a fight! so strong!

But the barra on the salt flats have been a major nemesis to me for the last four to five years.
I can find them, cast to them - but lose them in so many different ways it is abnormal. Almost to the point I think the fishing gods are against me!

For example I have been fishing with guys and they are using the same fly and fly rig set up - exactly! And they catch barra at will fro mfront of the boat and at the back of the boat - all I get are follows, nudges  and if I perchance I hook up to one - get the fly spat at me after minutes of to and fro! Uggghhh!!!

The tarpon I have caught, even got a few times the biggest Tarpon for the Salt comp on a day or overall. But tarpon always not a certainty - thinking of setting up my five weight with a small bead head nymph (in white or olive) on a floating line for back water areas - but we shall see!
How many times have we all seen them rolling on surface and not take anything cast to them!
But you only need one regardless of size for the slam!

So pre-comp outings to come (when any excuse will do).
Fly tying to be done - lovely past-time!
Flies to be tested - the life of some!
Flats to be explored - mind-blowing scenery, and other wild life - awesome!

Go on - get your boat ready, pick some tides and get SWOFFING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.