Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Monday 2nd November - Darwin Harbour trip report

Well I didn't end up fishing by myself as suggested in previous blog
I recalled an old friend whom I went to uni with that I have been meaning to take fishing so many times and haven't as yet for various reasons and interruptions

When we first met I was just finishing a double degree and he was just starting one, I used to fish in the mornings before lectures started and bring back fish for the guys who hadn't the time or gear to go fishing as much as I had. I used to fly fish off the rocks for bonito, aussie salmon, tailor and kingies south of Catherines Beach, Newcastle. Sometimes they were thick like oil slicks on the water - and real suckers for a well stripped fly - particularly a blue-white surf candy or a white crease fly with a blue back

I was in the men's dorm but my mate lived just on the edge of the uni campus. We called it Nappy Valley where the married units were, due to all the babies in the area.
He now works up here and I have been meaning to take him out fishing for quite a while

So a quick SMS the night before saw us leaving the ramp in the predawn light
I have been telling my uni mate for a long time about the great fishing here in the harbour
And he never used to fish but since coming up here he has caught the fishing bug

He fishes only landbased on the bridge and jetty at the boat ramp on the Elizabeth river
He has caught a few fish but mostly drowning baits and waiting for the fish to eat
I call it 'dangling' not fishing
So when I tied a fly on the end of his spin gear - his entire body language said
         ---    "WTF, you have to be F%$$&**G kidding me!"
(not that he would say such words as he is a pastor of a church in Palmerston)

So off to Stokes Wharf and work our way along to Kaitlyn bay - nothing and nothing
There was the most awesome sun rising over the city skyscrapers though

So then off we go to Weed Reef = Nothing - even with conditions looking perfect
Then off to talc head and the small bay behind it - Nothing!
Then off to the rock bar south of Mandorah Jetty + Nothing!!
Then the Mandorah jetty itself - nothing!!!!
Then the reef past the jetty - Still NOTHING!!!!!!

All my past stories and bragging to him have come back to haunt me!
He was being polite and telling me the drive around the harbour was all he needed to de-stress - catching the fish didn't matter
But Bugger me - the pressure was on!!

I told him about recent trips to East Point as we headed over in that direction, I mentioned the little rock bar and the working birds and fish under them we had got into most trips last week - but was this going to be another empty spot????

Well finally the birds were there and so were the fish - just like I had told him moments before
(thank the fishing gods!!!)

Actions stations for the first time that morning - both of us keen as.
My mates first cast towards the birds was a little short but he hooks up to a nice 40cm trevally first wind of the handle - he is loving it! Lip hooked, fly in top lip.
2nd and 3rd cast he hooks up again -again after a few turns of the handle but busts them off playing hard ball with little respect for these small trevally using the tidal current to their full advantage
After retying leader, sinker and fly to his rig for second time - I back off his drag (from full tight 'don't give any line' level) and tell him to enjoy the run and play the fish, take your time - enjoy

While all this happening I have caught a several queenies and one trevally too
Fourth cast of my mate - nothing, but fifth cast he is on again with only three turns of the handle
This time he plays the fish and uses the rod to tire out the fish - now he is really enjoying himself
even a yahoooo when it finally rests in the environet

We play here with the fishes here for an hour or so - then leave them biting to try another spot - Lee Point
Now all week Lee Point hasn't been at its best but it will complete the ride around the harbour

On arrival we find the birds working the back end of my favourite spot
Tide in the opposite direction to when I normally fish the reef but the fish are still there
A mixture of macks and queenies

After a fair bit of mucking around with the anchor and drift lines we finally get into a position to take full advantage of the aggressively feeding predators

My mate is thoroughly enjoying himself - with fish after fish coming to the net

He has a few species in the esky now, good bragging rights with his wife - who was a little mift due to only room for two in my boat (she has been getting into the fishing too!)
He had to take a few flies to try out later

We both agree to do this again soon
A great mornings fishing and home by lunchtime

until next time - the harbour has more to it then you might think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.