Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

my thoughts on considerations of a new boat

While I can't afford a new boat currently - here's what I am thinking about
Thinking about even though I have a massive road block in that I can't even afford a new trailer that I need for my current boat due to starting to build a house on our rural block

and not forgetting that I love my current boat (only one I have!)
A boat that I have caught a heap of fish species from

And while it doesn't get me offshore if any wind about - it gets me everywhere I need to go to catch fish locally and on a good day a fairway offshore

However........if I was going to (and I want to) but a new boat...............

I very much like the Quintrex 570 Top Ender - looks nice, rides well, plenty of fishing space
Will do offshore, the big rivers and some skinny water
but the basic boat is $50k+ here in Darwin without electics etc basically a bare boat
not exactly a fly friendly boat with no rear deck casting area

That's a lot of money for a boat when you list what you get and don't get. particularly what you have to buy and put on it to make it a good fishing boat - sounder, lights, electric motor, extra batteries, lots of storage and all the tiny bits that add up to a lot of money

Then there is the boat I really want
I used to have fibreglass boats only when on the east coast and the areas I fish here in the Top End are no harder on boats than there
So here it is - the Cobia 21 Bay - built for east coast US waters but it would be perfect here
offshore, inshore, rivers, and most shallow water like the ones I target most
fished with a guide long time ago chasing stripers off Montauck on one of these (well a much earlier model), then a different guide the next day who had a big Boston whaler - the Cobia was heaps better ride and fishability - loved it

just love watching this video!!!

The video clearly shows that the turn key standard options on US boats, far outway the standard boat we get here in Australia
Then there is the cost - under $40k US, on current exchange rates that's round $53 AU
When u compare the two boats and features and turn key setup of US boat, why would you buy locally made (well welded overseas most times)

there is also transporting the boat here which is between $9-15k. Which when added to cost price ends up being more but it is far more boat and options. I would also get a 24volt electric motor but can be fitted during building of hull to ensure compatibility and wiring. plus heaps cheaper for electric and batteries in US - so save there too.
Finally the the ride when compared to a aluminium boat is miles apart, with the glass boat far way superior

So if I had 60-70K I know from where I would be buying my next boat.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.