Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

time for weird tying - the Extended Silicone Candy

Tied my fingers off lately in prep for up coming fly fishing - still can't get enough

Minnows, squid, 'no see ums' jelly prawns, clousers, 3d baitfish, garfish, silicone surf candies
some with wire leaders others not

Been great fun, but seeing I have 40 or 50 or more of the main flies I used

What can I tie now?

You see I desperately need to tie something before the anticipation of this weekends saltwater fly challenge comp overwhelms me (- two days to go) - very exciting to be actually fishing after so many weeks not fishing
Work is not challenging me, so while supervising students completing work for other teachers or studying for my upcoming tests - I have been thinking what fly to tie?

Here's what I came up with
I wanted a fly for the mackerel that I could use without wire
So taking one tarpon fly style of tying everything at the hook bend and that Bynoe pelagics have a liking of my silicone surf candy

I tied a silicone surf candy at the bend of the hook with an extended body to make it more durable

First step was to tie tail materials (craft fur and a touch of flash) onto a piece of plastic coated paper clip

I then tie several of these

I then tie the extended piece to the bend of the hook and 
wrap from tail to tie in point with flash material

Once I have done this to the number I wish to tie (only seven today - the rest of hte hooks on the foam are going to be more normal silicone surf candies)

It is then time to apply the silicone (see previous blog entry about this)
basically a dollop of silcione molded over the body and head area
Add in your 3D eyes after doing this - so as it sets the eyes in place as the silicone sets

Set aside 24 hours to harden
Then a couple of layers of nail polish to finish off the fly

And there it is the "Extended Silicone Candy"

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.