Why the Blog......

9 years now into the blog, and lots and lots posts on the SWOFFING (Salt Water Fly FishING) in and around Darwin - maps, flies, outings and musings

Hope your enjoying it!

Friday, May 20, 2016

Trailer repair - #!

So,.....

Been majorly blessed by a mate who has given me a TIG/MIG welder and a regular arc welder plus a few other tools

AWESOME! ----  Thanks buddy!!!

But I did buy one of those new welding helmets that have those visors that darken automatically as soon as the welding starts (in 1/20000th of a second the promo tells me).

I am a crap welder - so need all the help I can get!!

I have cut some check gal plate out - one for top one for bottom of crack area, got a put a little bend in it on the day of welding to match the trailer chassis.

Will do some grinding also at weld points to ensure good contact for welding and to remove any rust or gal from old trailer and new bits of steel, specifically from join areas
Then weld in to place the steel gal plate
Finishing with a touch of anti-rust paint over the welds

Then the trailer is ready to rust some more when I launch the boat next weekend
Hopeful this fix-it-job will help the tailer last a year or so more
Or until the next area of trailer has rusted through and needs its own extra bit of steel plate welded on to it. Soon might be more steel plate than the old trailer - lucky I have my own welding equipment now!

right now though i am off to tie a few white clousers for a trip in Darwin Harbour on the 28th, two weekends time - Bring it on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have something constructive to add please do so.......
After moderation (if it is constructive) it will be published.